Saturday 22 January 2011

Ham Sandwiches and veggie stock

Making veggie stock:

I've started throwing all my carrot and onion peels, plus whatever other veggie scraps are leftover from preparing dinners, and tossing them in a tupperware on the counter. By the end of the week I usually have enough sitting there to make stock. So, into the cast-iron casserole they go, along with some herbs, garlic, onion, and maybe a little carrot and celery. Add water and pop in the oven at 150 C for a couple hours. It warms up the kitchen nicely, smells great, and gets one more use out of stuff I would previously just toss into the garbage.








Jed helps prepare some carrots. That's a butter knife.





We got some lovely ham at the farmers' market on Wed. I wasn't originally going to get any meat, but Jed tried some of their samples, and then said "Ham? Ham? Ham? Ham?" while I picked out the vegetables. I though it'd be a nice treat for him, so we headed back over to their table and bought a couple thick slices. The farm's called "Animal Farm", according to their sign, which, though a correct description of their work, made me think of "Two Legs Good, Four Legs Bad" and other slogans.

I was trying to think up other adaptations of Orwellian phrases for the farmers' market:

"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a beet stamping on a human face - forever."


"Big Butter is watching you"

"We have always been at war with Yeastasia"

Orwell also said "Advertising is the rattling of a stick inside a swill bucket " which sums up my attempts there pretty well.


So, here's the ham, along with homemade sourdough, Colman's Mustard, and a jar of Stilton. I sliced the ham super-thin, since that slice is probably 1.5 cm thick, and got two lunches worth of sandwiches for the kid and I out of the two slices.


1 comment:

  1. Edible Farm, by George Hormel: "All animals are meat-filled, but some animals are more meat-filled than others"

    ReplyDelete